Monday, November 28, 2005

Create In Me

I'm currently writing an exegesis paper on Psalm 51:6-12. It's such a beautiful Psalm. It is also a most beautiful song by the Sons Of Korah. It was written by King David of Israel after he had committed adultery with Bathsheba, and had her husband killed. I think it is a beautiful portreyal of his heart. I have felt this way at times in my life.



Surely you desire truth in the inner parts;
you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.
Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not case me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

13 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    tis beautifully done by sons of korah - goodness they bring the psalms alive!
    Ludicrousity said...
    Hyssop is a bush that was used by the Israelites for ritualistic sacrifices. It was used to sprinkle the blood, signifying the removal of sin.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Who whips themselves? The Israelites never did. Some crazy early heretical groups did because they believed that the body was evil and all that mattered was your spirit. There were two extremes. Some people did whatever they liked (like heaps dodgy stuff) coz they thought what you did what your body was irrelevant, and some people did the opposite and abused their bodies to make them more 'spiritual'. Right, that makes so much sense....
    Ludicrousity said...
    I can't say I've ever seen that!
    Ludicrousity said...
    I've seen plays re-enacting the crucifiction where someone plays Jesus, but I've never seen anyone whip themselves.
    Rob said...
    there are some places where people actually get nailed to crosses (for real). they have doctors there so make sure they dodge major parts of the hands with the nails.
    Luke said...
    That's messed up! :-\

    Oh, and as for the Psalm, that's one awesome passage. Talk about powerful. Sons Of Korah really bring it to life...such a cool song.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Oh my gosh Rob! Where on earth do people do that?! And WHY?!
    Anonymous said...
    I'm pretty sure they do it in Brazil. A Catholic ritual in that country at Easter time. It is put on the news each year.
    Luke said...
    Man, that's...not right...
    wire said...
    normal doesn't necesarily equal right.

    i have seen this stuff before on tv and i think in a doco too.

    if you look at what the bible teaches and records then based on that you would say that this practice is wrong and misguided.
    wire said...
    hyssop was used for brushing things down with to purify them.
    Dboy said...
    Agreed.

    I LOOOOOOVE Sons of Korah. Did I give you that cd, Peebody?

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates