Saturday, July 23, 2005

Mal Webb

Last night I went to some place on High St in Northcote. I have no idea what it's called, but I went there anyway. There was this guy performing there called Mal Webb. He was absolutely astounding! I have never seen someone who impressed me more with their musicality. This wasn't just some guy who played and sang, he was a real musician, a real musicologist. He knew everything there was to know about musical theory and all the physics behind it. It was incredible! Half the stuff he did wasn't even songs, but rather just demonstrating something of what you can do wtih music. He played 6 instruments while I was there, and I'm sure he plays about a thousand others. And he was really really good at all of them! He was really good at interacting with the audience too, he did a lot of talking and explaining. He was really entertianing as well as informative. He has this pedal thing which could record a sound and just loop it over and over again. So he'd record something, then record something else over that and so on until he had something that had about 17 different tracks of just him doing various things with his voice, then he'd sometimes play an instrument over the top of it or something. He'd sing 4 or 5 part harmonies with himself. It was astounding! That man could do almost anything with his voice! I can't believe some of the sounds he got to come out of his mouth. He didn't have the most amazing sounding voice, but he had so much control over it, he could do almost anything!

I recommend everyone get along to see him if you can. It's something quite different, but really really great! Click here to see his web site:

Mal Webb

Also an update on my puppy. She seems to be ok, but she's still very sore and bruised. She won't let anyone pick her up coz I think her tummy hurts, and she's doing everything very slowly. She's being careful, but she seems ok. Thank You God!

5 Comments:

  1. Dboy said...
    cool and so was me not using any punctuation or capital letters
    Dboy said...
    So annoying! He's already done all of his gigs for Melbourne!

    I wanted to go see him. Sounds awesome.
    Ludicrousity said...
    He's playing at the same place on August 26th. I wanna go then! I'll organise for a group of us to go!
    Dboy said...
    Anyway, back to Mal...

    That's awesome! Do a thing with people and stuffs, and then there I'll be!

    Mal Mal Mal!
    Ludicrousity said...
    I'll make it happen Dboy! No probs!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates