Monday, July 10, 2006

Cafes & Markets & Candles

Hi again! I ducked into the visitors' centre again this afternoon to give you another update. I'm still having a really fantastic time. The weather is amazing. Feels almost like summer! Perfect blue, sunny skies everyday! I can see all you Melbourne people green with envy from here! The people I'm staying with are so lovely, they really make me feel at home! I took a tour of their property on Saturday, they have 40 acres. They have their own orchards and everything! Mmmm... fresh fruit... Mango... Passionfruit... Mmmmm...

On Saturday I checked out the candle making factory and a local art gallery. Everything around here is so picturesque. I couldn't resist buying candles! But I didn't buy any art, just a cup of mango tea. Mmmmm....

Then on Sunday I did my first radio show. It went really well, apart from the fact that I had to get up at 5:45am to do it (and those of you who know me know that I am definitely NOT a morning person!). Are you impressed Mum & Dad? I actually got up that early! It's a 3 hour show, and I filled it with music, some pre-recorded talking spots and just rambled on myself about whatever came to mind. I think it went quite well. Took me an hour or so to get back into the swing of things, but I enjoyed it.

Then after my show I headed off to one of the local markets. It's really big and there was so many exciting things! Unfortunately I hadn't drawn out any money so I had hardly any on me and couldn't buy much, but that may be a good thing! Then I headed off to another cafe to see an acoustic act. He was quite good! I sat in the sun on the grass and listened to some great music. Then I started talking to a real hippy. Not like me, a try-hard hippy. Anyway, we had this amazing discussion for about an hour and a half about spirituality and God. It was facinating.

I've met some really interesting people and seen some great things. There aren't many social norms up here, so people just do whatever they feel like. It can be because they're stoned (that's rather common), but there is no social judgement. If they tried to behave like this in Melbourne they'd get some pretty strange looks! I got a video of this guy dancing badly to a band at the market, and no one cared that he was up in the middle of nowhere looking weird. It's all quite different to the city, but I expected that.

I spoke to this really really stoned/drunk guy at the local pub the other night. He introduced himself to me, his name was Shane, but he was so out of it that he couldn't even keep his eyes open and he slurred really slow. He ended up being thrown out and the police came in, then I saw him walk across the road to the park and pick up a bottle and drink whatever was in it. Some people here live a really sad existence. They seem to have nothing to live for. Not everyone is like this of course, but it's not a rare sight. People are smashed and they get money to get more smahsed. It's an awful cycle.

People here are very spiritual, but they have a much broader understanding of God than I do. God is in everything as well as in us, as well as being an overarching presence. It's bizaare the way I hear some of them talk about it. It's rather contradictory and they can't see it.

I went into Lismore (nearby bigger town) this morning and did some shopping, just checked out what was around. Considering I'm used to Melbourne shopping, it was pretty dodgy, but was nice to see what one of the other towns looks like. It has beautiful surrounding areas. That's where Glen (the blogger and my theology lecturer) lived for a while.

Anyway, I am really enjoying myself. I head up to the Gold Coast on Wed, and I'll be there til Sat. Sabine flies into the GC on Wed night and we'll stay with my friend Penny (who I know from Tassie who lives on the GC now) for a few days. Should be great! Love to you all!

11 Comments:

  1. Zebe said...
    ohhh how i'd love to live in a town with no social norms...
    wire said...
    that's not envy - its photosynthesis
    Anonymous said...
    Hi honey,
    I'm glad you are enjoying the experience up there in sunny Northern NSW. Bring some of the warm sunshine home will you? Don't forget to record your radio show if you can so we can hear it!!
    Luke says "Eat plenty of lizards to stay healthy and strong?!!!" (you know Luke!!!)
    Love,
    MUM
    Litha said...
    If you go to Lismore again, can you ask around for a guy named "Nick", who originally came from NZ? When you find him, get his e-mail address kthx
    Dboy said...
    Haha, cos everyone knows everyone in Lismore. I'm actually sure they do.

    Sounds like you're having a ball, and I'm sure they don't judge your try-hard hippy-ness either. What an awesome place to be! Man, I';d be doing a few dances myself :)
    wire said...
    heck - i'm dancing right now!
    Anonymous said...
    By the way, dear, your father and I really wouldn't mind if you try some drugs! You've lived a very sheltered life; and I know that just a few little joints would be OK.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Ok, who's pretending to be my mother? Luke, is that you? No wait. It must be mum. yes Mum. I'll try some drugs just because you say to.

    *goes off to find drugs*
    Ludicrousity said...
    And Lisa, Lismore is a big town! And I don't think I'll be going back apart from driving throuhg on the way home.
    Glen O'Brien said...
    Do not try drugs. Repeat: DO NOT TRY DRUGS! You have permission from your theology lecturer to rebel against your parent's wishes.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Awww! That's no fun! :P

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates