Thursday, June 16, 2005

La di da di da

I have been thinking a bit about music lately (I know, huge shock...), and thinking what makes me enjoy music and what stops me enjoying music. I can't enjoy a song with lyrics I hate. Lyrics don't laways have to be deep and meaningful, I like fun songs, but I can't enjoy a song with just stupid lyrics that annoy me. Aka Gwen Steffani. What on earth is up with the lyrics to her latest song? Oh please. And there are people like Tammin (ex home & away chicky) who have nice cliched songs which don't say anything particularly profound. Then there are people like Paul Dempsey (something for kate) who write really obscure lyrics that you actually need to think about to understand. I'm a massive something for kate fan, but I can see that they don't appeal to the masses (unfortunately). People don't like to think too much. It seems all the popular music doesn't make you think. Anything that does, requires effort, and not everyone bothers. I think people miss out on some of the best music ever written because they don't want to think or be challenged. Ingrid and I were talking the other day about lyrics, and we thought we needed to find a happy medium, somewhere between Tammin and Paul.


Some of my fav artists:
George, Missy Higgins, Pete Murray, Switchfoot, Something For Kate, Josh Groban, Evermore, Coldplay, Dashboard Confessional, John Mayer, Incubus, Kutless, Sons Of Korah.
(There are so many others, but that's a short list)

11 Comments:

  1. Bowen said...
    Pfffft. There is no wisdom in the Son's of Kora music.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Nah, it's just heaps of dribble from the useless book known commonly as the bible.
    Bowen said...
    I'm glad we are on the same page here.
    Unknown said...
    Haven't any of you heard of B.B. King? Eric Clapton? Robert Johnson? Stevie Ray Vaughn? Indigenous? Come on people, find out what real music is.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Haha! I love Eric Clapton. He's fantastic.

    Live are great too. And I love Jars Of Clay too. System of a down are fantastic. I like most of Eminem's older stuff, but hate his new stuff (ie. latest album).
    Bowen said...
    I love system of a down!!!!! That are my fav band. I would also like to point out that live aren't christians, they are spiritual and believe a whole range of things or at least the lead singer does.
    Unknown said...
    Blues is not the only music, but much of today's modern music stems from it. Rock, Rap, Country (crap) gospel, christian rock all have blues as their basis. Even Jazz can be traced back to the blues.

    What is not good music is anything that makes it on the Top 40 Poop chart.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Well that's a bit of a rash statement. I'll agree that lot of the top 40 is utter crap, but not all of it. Sometimes some geniune artists creep onto it.

    And can I say how much I love jazz music!
    Unknown said...
    Since the majority of top 40 pop stars are created by producers instead of creating themselves, I cannot count them as artists. Most of the real artists are in the indie music area.
    Unknown said...
    PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ludicrousity said...
    Pants eh? Um, ok.

    But yeah, I have so much respect for artists who write their own material.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates