Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Getting Old...

I went to visit my Pa today. He's expected to die in the next few days, so that was probably the last time I'll see him. It's really hitting me how old and frail we all will become. But perhaps it's worse for some. Pa has cancer, he is now bleeding internally, and he has advanced Alzheimer's. I'm not even sure he knew who I was today. He may have, I'm not sure. He didn't really speak. That is the first time I have seen him where he couldn't really speak, and I'm not sure if he knew me. At least the other times he knew me, he just couldn't remember anything I was doing, where I lived, etc. But at least he knew me. What a horrible disease Alzheimer's is! I'm feeling rather sad about knowing that he could die any time. I've never seen him so frail. He was way too skinny, and his face was all sunken, and his skin was a weird yellow colour. I hate death. I've only had one other person close to me die, that was my other grandfather in 1999. I'm just feeling a bit sad.

5 Comments:

  1. don't call me MA'AM said...
    I'm so sorry, Megan. I know how painful that can be. But I also know that your faith will help you through this... and that there are better times awaiting your Pa on the other side. :-)
    Martin Boutros said...
    which pa, Meg? Grand; or Greatgrandpa?

    Thinking of you all!
    Ludicrousity said...
    It's my Dad's, Mum's husband. My Dad's Dad died before I was born, and Nanna remarried, also before I was born, so this is the only Pa I've known on that side.
    iggi said...
    My Grandpa had Alzheimers. I was pretty small at the time, and I think my mind blanked out the memories I had of him after he got really sick, so I only clearly remember him when he was still him, you know? It's kind of strange but I think it might be better that way.
    Brie said...
    i never really had a grandpa, one died before i was born and the other i only remember seeing in hospital once when i was really little.

    alzheimers sounds like a horrible way to go though

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates