Monday, July 09, 2007

Working?

I hate working. I can't function in the mornings which means I'm a moron when I arrive at work, and I'm super grumpy for the first 2 hours of every day. My brain literally can't function properly and I actually hate everyone when I wake up. I'm not cut out for normal working hours. I'm such a night owl. And I don't think it's just that I haven't adjusted yet. It's been 6 and a half weeks and I still can't cope properly. Why do we work 9 - 5? Or 9 - 5:30 in my case.

I've come to the conclusion that I find no meaning in my work. I know this is a common story, but while I'm at uni I just need any job that gets me through. While my workmates are nice, I don't enjoy my job. It's repetitive and boring. I find no satisfaction and purpose in my job, therefore I have no motivation to be there.

It sounds cliche I know, but I'm struggling with my new lifestyle. Working 30 hours a week is really hard on top of study and all of the other commitments I have. It's not the kind of life I envisioned for myself. I'm grieving the loss of a lifestlye I have enjoyed and want to continue. I miss all the live music I used to go to (I've had to severely cut down on all that). I miss hanging out with people as often as I used to. I value people over a job, and now I can't put the time into them I want to. I'm finding this change hard to accept.

9 Comments:

  1. Ross said...
    I've been working for ten years, but have only had a job I enjoy for the last five years of my working life.

    As you say, your current job is a means to an end. That's how I thought of all of my previous jobs. I didn't enjoy them much, but they were good in terms of character building.

    You may have to make some short term sacrifices in terms of lifestyle adjustments, but in the longer term, you'll be able to look back and be thankful that you stuck it out.
    Anonymous said...
    your first paragraph could have been written by howie. currently he is at home because he refused to get up this morning to come to work with me. so i left him there and came to work by myself!

    i don't have anything really profound to say in term of advice. but glad you blogged!
    Anonymous said...
    Welcome to the real world.
    Anonymous said...
    you amazed me, u seem such a selfish person. hey u have a job some of us don't which i find more down grading than a meaningless job. work is what u make it.
    when i have a job i find it great just to get away from home and meet and be with people.
    Luke said...
    I'd love to hand out some advice, but I haven't gotten there yet. This said change is yet to occur for me...
    Anonymous said...
    "It's not the kind of life I envisioned for myself. I'm grieving the loss of a lifestlye I have enjoyed and want to continue."

    Your loss of lifestyle can help others to gain. How many children are you going to sponsor to help Make Poverty History like you promote on your blog now you work so hard and have so much money? I think a real positive can come out of this Megan.
    Anonymous said...
    Yeah, early mornings suck.

    I've never had a job before. I'm 24.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Just so people know, I'm not worried about the whole thing. I know where I stand, I understand how I'm feeling, it's all ok, just expressing how it is for me at the moment.

    Blinky, I have no idea why you decided to take that angle. I did not compain about having a job. I am grateful for it. This blog is my blog. I am simply stating what's on my mind. It is not meant to be some sort of open forum for people to judge me. So please don't. I can't see how that is helpful for anyone. This is just how life is for me. I should feel free to express that. Your experience is valid, as is mine.
    Anonymous said...
    Your blog is on the internet. Private thoughts without fear of judgment are for a diary entry at home with a lock on it. Anything else on the internet is fair game. You put it out there, it is naive of you not to expect a backlash.

    It seems as though you're always looking for approval, sympathy or any kind of attention from your posts. It also seems that you are full of hot air. All these causes that you 'gain awareness' for, what do you actually do?

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates