Monday, July 16, 2007

Hurting Relationships

I've been thinking a lot this weekend about the nature of relationships and how vulnerable we are to others. I've been doing an intensive (as part of my uni studies) with an organisation called 'Forge'. I'm a big fan of where they're coming from and have really enjoyed engaging with the material over the last 4 days.

Let me preface this with saying that I am talking about any relationship, not just romantic ones.

Something I was thinking about was the nature of relationships and being hurt by others. I can think of a time recently where I have been hurt and disappointed by someone I have been friends with for many years. I was hurt and angry to begin with and thought about ending the friendship out of frustration and hurt. But then I thought about it and realised that this is not an option if I am to live with integrity

Does this mean I was wrong to open myself to this person? No, I don't think so. It is the nature of life that we will be hurt by some people, but if that stopped us choosing to be vulnerable to others, then I think it would be a rather sad existence.

Being in relationship with anyone invovles a certain risk. There is no guarantee of 'success'. Although I would argue that our definition of success is warped anyway. But the more I think about it, the more I tend to think it is ok to be hurt. It means that you have really given something of yourself to another person. Even if you think there is a real risk that you will be hurt, ripped off, disappointed, or taken advantage of. We are only responsible for what we do, not what others do. It is the nature of humanity that we let each other down.

I want to live a life of love. And that means sacrificial, inconvenient, unconditional love. I want to care for anyone and everyone, even if that means I am hurt, inconvenienced and disappointed. I want to be able to look back on my life and know that I did all I could for people, even if it invovled pain. I would rather live a life of challenge than comfort.

13 Comments:

  1. Luke said...
    I gotta say, I don't know if I can relate to this hurt you speak of concerning friends. Perhaps it's a chick thing, but when my friends do things that might hurt me, I don't really think of it much. I mean, they're not doing it intentionally.

    I sometimes get the sense that people who feel hurt in this manner are operating from a standpoint that those around them should understand their pain by default when this is often not the case. I actually get annoyed when female friends suddenly have a go at me for "being so insensitive", but never once actually mentioned there was a problem before. If the problem was calmly addressed in the first place it would have stopped!

    I dunno, I suppose I just haven't experienced friendships hurts in the way your speaking of yet, because whenever my friends hurt me I just assume they don't know about it, thus shrug it off.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Does it matter if they mean it? Does that negate how you feel? It doesn't mean you should blame them and treat them as if they are to blame, but I think it's important to acknowledge your emotions.

    If you don't feel that hurt deeply, then great for you. But some of us do, and it cetainly is not just a female thing. I listened to many stories over this weekend of men who have been deeply hurt, being betrayed by those they have given something of themselves to.

    And on the flip side, if you did not mean to hurt another person, does that not mean you should apologise? It does not mean you have to admit fault or change you opinion, but you can apologise for hurting the other person, whether it was meant or not. I certainly never want to hurt another person. And if I do, whether I mean to or not, I want to have the humility to make amends for that and heal the relationship.

    What is more important? Being right? Or people?
    Luke said...
    I suppose my point was that you can't really get mad at the person if they hurt you unintentionally. It doesn't help anyone, and yelling at them when they're unaware there was a problem is silly.

    A simple calm and cool word is good. And not in a "supressed angry" way either. A simple mentioning that you got hurt.

    Easier said than done, though...
    don't call me MA'AM said...
    If we were never hurt by someone, we wouldn't really have any comparison for good/great relationships. I appreciate the good ones, because I can relate them to the really bad ones.
    Mutt said...
    That's not strictly true. Good relationships should be normal relationships.
    Ludicrousity said...
    There is such thing as a normal relationship? What would your definition of that be?
    Glen O'Brien said...
    I think you diaplsy a lot of wisdom here Megan. Your comment, "I would rather live a life of challenge than comfort" reminded me of C.S. Lewis once saying, "I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity." I think the same is true of life in general. Being "comfortably numb:" may sound appealling at times but would not reraly constitute "the good life."
    Glen O'Brien said...
    Diaplsy? I did of course mean "display."
    Ludicrousity said...
    Now I'm disappointed Glen. I was hoping to diaplsy. You've crushed my dreams of diaplsying forever!!!
    wire said...
    Quick, someone sound the awkward horn!
    wire said...
    aaaaaawwwwkwaaaaard


    "Is that a conch?"
    Glen O'Brien said...
    It's OK I'm qiote secure in the legitimacy of my parentage :)
    Ludicrousity said...
    Haha!

    And you might want to check that the letters on the keyboard are in the right place! Lots of typos for Glen!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates