Saturday, January 20, 2007

Blood Diamond


I saw this movie last night with some friends. Talk about intense! I wasn't aware of the huge issue surrounding conflict-diamonds. It was very eye opening. "Blood Diamond" is very educational and moving ala "Hotel Rwanda". I definitely suggest that people see this film. It really shows what life is actually like in parts of Africa. But it's not a film for the weak! It amazing how we don't hear about this kind of thing on the news, we become so complacent about how so many people live day to day. Makes you question Australia's refugee policies. How can people treat each other in such a way? The lead character from Sierra Leone (played by Djimon Hounsou) says something like "I can understand how people can come in and treat us the way they do, but what I can't understand is how we can do it to each other". It really is unbelievable what people are capable of doing to each other. I hate to think what I would be capable of in such a situation. Powerful film.


This is a refugee camp in Guinea. The conditions these refugees live in is incredible.



I really hope people pay attention to the message of this movie, and not just think it's interesting or a good film. Why do we live in such ignorance? Why do some things get reported and others not? Do we not care about of fellow humans in Africa?

14 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Why don't you help then? Go without alcohol and any luxuries and donate all you have to the cause. Or fly over there and help instead of spending time on your computer.
    don't call me MA'AM said...
    Hey anonymous... Why don't you leave scathing suggestions with your real name? or why don't you hide behind an anonymous pseudonym instead. Lame, very lame.

    Ludi: great point. I'm always interested to hear how people I know will spend a 6 months worth of their salary on a diamond ring... and not even blink. They don't think about where the diamond came from, and they wouldn't even think to ask.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Yeah DCMM. I guess we are just so used to not hearing about the background of our products that it doesn't always occur to us to think about what went into making the product.

    Anon: If you're not going to be constructive and attack me, then don't comment at all. I'm trying to initiate discussion and talk about an important issue that will hopefully follow on to action and create awareness. I'm am not here to attack people or be attacked.
    Rob said...
    so i assume you're going to do everything you suggested ludicrousity should do, right anon?

    besides, how are issues like that supposed to be made aware of without discussion and people spreading the word?
    Ludicrousity said...
    How about we ignore him and actually talk about what's important. I wonder how you find out if what you are buying is a conflict diamond? Not that I've ever bought a diamond before, but I wonder how one would go about finding that out?
    Rob said...
    dunno. it's a little hard to imagine a jeweller admitting it if you just straight out ask. and they may not even know anyway.
    Paul said...
    I've seen a few documentaries about blood diamonds over the years and it's amazing how they change hands like they do.

    I'm interested in seeing this film, have been for a little while now. Might make some time on the weekend i think.
    Ross said...
    If I ever have need to buy a diamond ring, and I suppose I will one day, I'll make sure its not a blood diamond. This movie sounds like it's worth seeing, even if it does have DiCaprio in it.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Dicaprio is an increasingly good actor. The last few movies I've seen him in I've been very impressed with. He really is a good actor.
    Brie said...
    i shall have to watch this one. i saw a poster for it a few days back but all i really noticed was that leo no longer looks 16...
    Ludicrousity said...
    He's actually 32. He just looked young for ages coz he had such a baby face.
    Brie said...
    *gasp* he's ancient! okay maybe not, but from a teenage perspective... :P
    Glen O'Brien said...
    I have a friend, Matthew, a member of our congregation, who is a refuggee from the civil war in Sierra Leone. He has quite a story to tell. The Wesleyan Church has historically been strong in Sierra Leone, going back to the ninetenth cnetury. During the civil war the rebels took over the Wesleyan Bible college and kiled a lot of church leaders and members. By the grace of God the church survived and is now begining to rebuild.
    Glen O'Brien said...
    In case you're wondering, I actually do know how to spell refugee...

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates