Monday, June 01, 2009

Fury!

I get passionate about certain things. I'm sure those of you that know me can pick some of those topics. Justice is one. Another one is people who can't justify their 'opinions'.

I really enjoy having discussions with people about things we disagree about. It's not fighting, I'm not really up for that, but I enjoy a passionate debate. It's interesting to hear people's opinions and why they believe what they believe. It helps me to either cement or change my own ideas, and helps me to get to know the other person better.

However, what I can't stand, and get really angry about, is people who just spout rhetoric and can't support their ideas. People who have beliefs, but can't articulate why they believe it, really get to me. I don't mind people believing whatever they want to believe, that is everyone's prerogative, but what I can't stand is when they haven't thought it through and they can't explain it.

I have had a few discussions over the last few weeks where someone just spouts ideas and then is unable to engage in conversation about it. I find this so frustrating! I hate when you ask them a question and they just repeat the rhetoric they've absorbed and don't answer your questions.

You can tell when people own their ideas by whether they can discuss them.

16 Comments:

  1. Luke said...
    Oh. come on. You gotta say what got you so focused on this. Use an example!
    Ludicrousity said...
    No. Then I'll have to name people and I don't want to do that on the internet. I'll offend someone unnecessarily.
    Mutt said...
    Why do you believe this?
    Ludicrousity said...
    Why do I believe what? I'm just saying how infuriating I find it when people can't tell you why they believe what they believe. I find undiscerning people one of the most frustrating kinds of people I ever encounter. People shouldn't believe things on face value just coz someone else says it's true. They should work it out for themselves and if they still agree, then fine, but people need to think for themselves and be able to discuss their point.
    Nomi said...
    Maybe they just suck at arguing a point...
    Ludicrousity said...
    Not sure who you are anon, but yeah, I'm a Christian. You seem to think this is at odds with my post. Is that what you mean?
    Nomi said...
    Just cos she's religious doesn't mean she has to be everyones biggest fan.
    Mutt said...
    So what you're saying is you don't know why you find them frustrating.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Of course I know why I find them frustrating. I said that. I find it frustrating when people are unable to explain their reasons and have a discussion about any given topic. I find it very frustrating when people put forth their opinion (particularly when they are passionate), but they can't discuss it. They just regurgitate what they've heard and are unable to enter into a dialogue about it. It's like they don't understand it at all and are just repeating what they've heard. I'm ok with a different opinion, just not when they haven't thought about it for themselves.
    Ludicrousity said...
    I'm advocating people thinking for themselves and owning their own ideas, not just taking on board what someone else says.
    Luke said...
    I don't know who Anon is, but it was certainly interesting that they were under the impression that someone who is religious can't justify their beliefs.
    Mutt said...
    I'm advocating people thinking for themselves and own their own ideasPfft. That's just what everyone says.
    Ludicrousity said...
    So what do you think I really think then?
    Luke said...
    I think you think that I'm annoying.

    I know this to be true, so obviously I object.
    Nomi said...
    You also know she loves the crap out of you.. do you object to that too?
    Luke said...
    ...

    Touche.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates