Monday, August 27, 2007

Review Time!

It's review time people! I've been to see some amazing live music over the last couple of weeks. Let's start with Gotye.

Gotye is the solo music project of Melbourne's Wally De Backer. What a taltented man he is! Gotye grabs samples from all sorts of different music and puts them all together to create new tunes. He sings and plays drums, so there is a lot of his own work over the top of these samples too. He plays guitar and keys at times too.
Given the nature of his music, it's not an easy thing to translate it to the stage. However, the creativity of this man never ceases to amaze me! On stage he had 2 violins, viola, cello, percussionist, 2 sax's (who also played the clarinet and flute) and a bass player. Plus Wally himself on drums, vocals, electronic drums and keys. What a show! The music was different to the album, which is what gave it it's special something. It was still his music, but revamped for the stage with an amazing array of people and sounds.
And there was a great light and visual show going on up on the screen behind the band! Impressive stuff!
I love his music anyway, but seeing him live just made me love him more! Such creativity and raw talent.
I recommend getting along to see him if you ever get the chance!


Then on Thursday I went to see the John Butler Trio & Josh Pyke. Josh Pyke opened the show and he was brilliant! I'm such a huge fan of his music. Great interesting acoustic tunes with catchy, yet creative melodies. He's a brilliant lyricist too.
I was impressed with his live show, hadn't seen him live before. but I was disappointed with the sound. His vocals were a bit too muffled and quiet. If I didn't know what he was singing, I'm not sure I would have been able to make it out.


Then the John Butler Trio took the stage! Incidentally they just came on the radio! Love it!
I've seen these guys twice before and I'm always blown away by how good they are. Even if you don't like their music, you have to appreciate how good they are as musicians. Talk about impressive! No-one's fingers should move as fast as John's! And the drummer (Michael Barker) and bass player (Shannon Birchall) are so imcredible! Shannon plays a 5 string and an upright. So very cool. And Michael? Phenomenal!
What I love so much about their music is their obvious passion. John writes about things he is passionate about. His music is a reflection of who he is and what he believes in. I have a lot of respect for that. And he's not just all talk. He acts on what he thinks is important. I love his heart for reconcilliation, compassion and respect. His message is all about love for your fellow man and the planet. Whatever form that takes. If that means overseas aid, then good. It it means just stopping in the street to say hi to someone, then that's good too. If it means not mining our planet to death, then that's another good thing. And everything in between. I have a lot of respect for these guys, as musicians and as people.

I've seen a lot more live music over the last 2 weeks too, but more later. These are the 2 shows that stood out to me the most.

Any musicians you want to recommend?

8 Comments:

  1. wire said...
    In light of your second last paragraph what do you think of John Butler's Good Excuse?

    Also, i got the Josh Pyke cd and love it but yeah, saw him live on some tv show and wasn't all that impressed with the vocals. Don't know if he had a back-up band when you saw him but he sounded a bit thin with only one guitar and vocal.
    Ludicrousity said...
    I love that song. Great song about getting some perspective.
    That's not to say that people's parents getting dirvoced etc isn't important and worth getting upset over. I think it is. But I think the problem comes when you feel sorry for yourself and get stuck in that instead of realising how much you've got.

    Josh had a back up band when I saw him, but the vocals still weren't well mixed.
    wire said...
    If i was a kid whose parents had just gotten divorced i think it would make me want to punch John Butler in the nose. Twice.
    Luke said...
    Man, I was never as lured in by the prospect of live performances as you were, Ludi. Out of curiosity, what is it about live performances that pulls you in? I mean, whenever I think of concerts I always think of being cramped and not being able to see or hear properly...
    wire said...
    I can highly, hiiiiiiighly recommend The Dave Crowder Band, i listened to their cd A Collision almost exclusively while i traveled through Europe and never got tired of it. They are amazing musicians - really interesting, and have a great sense of extending the experience beyond the cd. They've been known to invite the public to open jam session/bbqs and left a series of clues through their last three albums that led to secret websites, tracks and ended in someone winning lifetime passes to all their concerts.
    wire said...
    To further my case, here is a random quote pulled off their site:

    I would like to include some writings on faith and culture and the tensions that exist as one alive with the story of God to communicate. Good can be found in places you would not initially suspect and evil also can be found in places you initially would not suspect. I am inspired and challenged by the books listed above. My pursuit is to embrace the good and bring redemption to that in need of redemption. This is not a safe pursuit but one I will risk and encourage others in.

    -Dave Crowder (regarding some books.)
    don't call me MA'AM said...
    Wah. I never get to see cool music.

    Paulo Nutini, whom I really like, will be in my city in two months. But he's going to a hall where they frown on people who are over 21. I don't think I can pass for that age anymore. Wah.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Guru, it's the vibe! Haha... Anyway, seriously.
    There is an electric atmostphere at live gigs. The passion that people demonstrate in their music is infectious and something special to watch. There is something really different about seeing an artist perform their original music live. Especially when they are truly talented musicians, not just manufactured idiots.

    Wire, sounds good. I'll have to check them out.

    DCMM, go anyway! If you want to go, just go! Who cares?

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates