Friday, February 16, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth


I saw this movie yesterday. Well, I guess it's not really a movie, more a doco. It was very eye opening. I knew a bit of what was spoken about, but now I feel much more informed. Part of me wishes Gore had got the presidency over Bush, but who knows right? Anyway, you can't see a film like that and not have to do something about it. I'm really glad it's being shown in schools in American. I wish they'd show it in schools here. The next generation are the ones who are going to be taking over industry. They are the ones who will end up with the responsibility for the planet. It is our job to inform them so that they are aware of the need to care for it. I think our task is to remove the excuse of ignorance and inform people so that they are drive to action. Because this is something that affects us all, not just some of us.

I think "An Inconvenient Truth" is a great film, very inspiring. I want everyone to see it. I want our societies to be driven by morals & elthics, not the dollar. I want our world to function in a way that is sustainable, that cares, not expolits. This is a principle that I want to see transfered to humanity, not just the environment, but we won't have much of a world to care for each other in if we don't look after it.

If Al Gore came here to do his presentation I'd love to go.

It annoys me that the 2 countries who signed the Kyoto Protocol and haven't met the standards are the US & Australia. Why aren't we doing more about something so important. I get that Australia's carbon emissions are fairly small given our small population, however, per capita we are terrible!

I know I want to do something about this, and I hope everyone does. Let's not buy into 'easy', let's do what's right.

12 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Go Megan!

    May your action be the tool, the narrow path The Way, and JC the heart of your life.

    (Another way of saying: you're showing hefty signs of activism which I think is a good thing - just beware the allure of the "scene" - it's caught me out in the past)

    see you soonly!
    k

    ps: I've enjoyed singing and chatting with you over the last little while
    Ludicrousity said...
    I'll assume k is Kate. :) Thanks Kate. It's been heaps of fun!
    Rob said...
    I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really comment on it too much.

    One thing though - I thought we (& the US) hadn't signed the Kyoto Protocol. I might be wrong, but my understanding was basically that John Howard doesn't think it will help much, and will hurt our economy.

    That last bit annoys me. Putting money ahead of something (just a little something) like saving the planet.
    Ross said...
    I'm too young to be this cynical and world weary, but I wonder if it's possible for the Western world to be driven by other values apart from the pursuit of profits. I also wonder if the idealised world you describe is really possible this side of eternity, but that's another issue.
    Ludicrousity said...
    I don't think it's possible to fix all our problems, but I don't think that means we shouldn't try. And I also think that we can make a difference, that our society can change in the next generation or two. But we need to work towards it. Create awareness and a desire to change.

    I was sure that we and the US had signed the Kyoto Protocol, but we aren't exactly hard working towards it. Feel free to prove me wrong though. I thought Howard ended up signing it, but hasn't put any real measure in place to ensure we meet those standards.
    Anonymous said...
    I think Al Gore has come and gone already, Megan. I listened to an interview on 774 when the film first landed here.

    They have it as a podcast on the abc website...?

    k
    wire said...
    I think it's too late to do anythng about the enviroment so we should just enjoy it while it lasts. Our children will probably evolve and not need oxygen anyway so all this effort on reducing carbon emmissions wouldn't be just for nothing but would be actually ruining their enviroment. Way to ruin two enviroments guys. Good one.
    Anonymous said...
    Wire, sounds like you can't be bothered being creative with solutions - only smart comments
    Ludicrousity said...
    Wire, why didn't we all think of that? You're a genius! Problem solved!
    Rob said...
    ok, i did a little looking around about the kyoto protocol, australia and the US.

    basically, we have both signed it, but neither have ratified it, meaning we're under no obligation to do anything about it. without ratifying it, the signature is merely a symbolic act, with no responsibility attached.
    Brie said...
    signing or ratifying (or whatever) the kyoto protocol is all very well but wouldn't our economy collapse? i mean, our main emission comes from cows. we cut down the amount of cows being bred for beef or dairy or whatever and that'll put a lot of people out of work... like rob said i guess, i just read everyone else's comments :P my dad'd lose his job too which may make me just a tad biased... and we'd have no power lol

    but anyways, i really want to see the movie. something does need to be done, it's not that i don't believe you wire, but i do happen to enjoy breathing oxygen
    Rob said...
    pfft...oxygen is overrated...

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates