Friday, September 18, 2009

Reply

Got a reply from my local MP about my letter I sent off (see last entry). Nice to have a personal reply, but it's not enough. I'm writing back. Here is my second letter:




Dear Ms. Macklin,

Thank you so much for writing back to me. I appreciate you taking the time. I understand that Labor is doing some good work in the area of fair trade and human rights. I applaud the government for taking measures to help see that all people have their basic rights met.

However, I don’t think the government is doing enough. We are a hugely resourced country, and therefore have the responsibility to help those less fortunate than ourselves. This goes for our own citizens as well as those overseas. I realise it’s not simply a matter of changing laws overnight to make this so. I know it is infinitely more complicated. There is personal responsibility involved as well as government intervention.

Your letter of reply did not address my main concern about trade issues. We still import countless products that ensure people are trapped in a cycle of poverty. This is equal to slavery. There is no excuse for this when we can redirect our resources to products that don’t abuse human rights. Once again I realise this is not a straight forward issue, but it is one that we need to address and act on! Complicated does not mean impossible.

Why do we continue to support multinational corporations that produce goods through ‘sweat shops’ and slave labour? Just because we aren’t the ones doing it, doesn’t remove our responsibility. We are responsible for the money we give to these corporations that encourages them to continue exploiting their workers. I wouldn’t wish those conditions on anyone and I am hugely concerned that as a country we endorse it through our actions.

We must do something about our endorsement of this behaviour. We must stand up for human rights and fair trade! We may not endorse the behaviour with our words, but our actions say otherwise. Something must be done!

Once again, Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope it will drive you to positive action.

Megan Orrin

2 Comments:

  1. Luke said...
    Heh, typical politician response. You let 'em know you won't take the brush off. :D
    Ludicrousity said...
    I'm trying! But if I'm offense they'll just ignore me, so I'm trying to push them diplomatically.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates