Monday, September 07, 2009

Open Letter to Kevin Rudd

This is something I have written. I would love it if everyone could either send their own version, or just cut and paste mine and put your name on the end. I think this is very important.

Go here to email the PM

I also sent it to Simon Crean the minister for trade.

Go here to email Simon Crean

However, we all know that a written letter is worth more than an email. I urge you to do both. It will take you all of 30 seconds.

The Hon Kevin Rudd MP

Prime Minister

Parliament House

CANBERRA ACT 2600




To The Honourable Kevin Rudd,

I am writing to you as a concerned citizen. In this time of increasing social awareness, specifically in the area of fair trade, I think it’s time that the Government stepped in and made some serious changes.

You are a representative of the people, and there had been a huge increase in the public interest of fair trade products. As a country we import countless products that exploit the poorest of the poor who are unable to advocate and stand up for themselves. This is unacceptable. The abolition of slavery was founded on these same principles. We wouldn’t dare endorse slavery in this country, so why do we support it through our trade practices? We freely import products that keep people in a cycle of poverty. This is unacceptable.

You may say I should choose to purchase things that are fair trade, but as a Government it is your responsibility to oversee our country’s conscience. We don’t allow people to have slaves if they so choose, so why do we allow people to buy products that effectively keep people in conditions that amount to slavery? Why is this part of our trade policy, supporting these conditions? There is nothing acceptable about this. There is no reason for companies to continue to exploit these workers other than greed and financial gain. People are always more important than money. Always.

This issue is particularly poignant for coffee and chocolate products. Even though things are starting to change, I still see it as the Government’s role to be involved.

Having said all this, I do realise it is a complicated issue. I know that there is no solution that will not be met with immense opposition. But did that stop those campaigning for the abolition of slavery? Should it stop us? I say no. And as the representative of the people, it is your role to ensure that our country is run with integrity, and that our trade practices are not something to be ashamed of.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope it will drive you to positive action.

Megan Orrin

2 Comments:

  1. Luke said...
    Excellent letter. I intend on sending my own letter, too.

    Well, I intend on sending YOUR letter, but I'll probably add some curse words in and a picture of a dragon.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Nice. Real nice. I have stamps when you want to send one.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates