Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Movies

Ok, some movie reviews!

SWEENEY TODD

What a brilliant film! I was sooo impressed! I went in there with pretty high expectations because I love Tim Burton and adore Johnny Depp. Johnny is my favourite actor of all time! He is so versatile and talented. And it doesn't hurt that he just happens to be the sexiest man alive. The film was so well done. Brilliant acting all round. The actors bought such life to the story. Not that it needs any help. It's a brilliant stage musical in it's own right. The way Burton brought it to life on the screen was inspired. The unknown actors were pleasantly surprising. Talk about talent! I would suggest that Helena Bonham Carter isn't a great singer, but it hardly matters because she had so much depth of character. She isn't a terrible singer, but she certainly isn't a strong one, but her fullness of character made up for any lack of vocal strength. Alan Rickman is brilliant as the judge. His voice is just perfect for the role. And that kid? Wow! The lighting scheme fits perfectly, the songs were amazing and the acting was brilliant. I went out and bought the soundtrack the very next day and have memorised pretty much the whole thing! Go see it if you haven't already. 5 stars!



10,000 BC

Wow. So disapointing. I saw it this morning and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it (Thanks Steve!). Slow, not much story, predicatble, cliche, need I go on? For a movie that's promo'd as having heaps of action, it has had hardly any. And the final battle scene? Totally lame. Some giant mamoths run down a ramp and a guy falls off a pyramid. And some spears get thrown. The end. Don't bother seeing it if you were going to. I am yet to see a good review and now I know why. Some really nice sweeping shots of snow covered mountains though. Pretty! But not worth 2 hours of my time. The acting wasn't particularly expressive either. And that old woman? What the? Kind of lame... 1 star.

18 Comments:

  1. Luke said...
    Thank you for enduring 10,000 BC so I don't have to. :P

    That reminds me. I gotta do more reviews.
    Anonymous said...
    I'd be mindlessly in love with Johnny Depp anyday, even if he doesnt love me, I'll just sniff his hair while he sleeps *sings* "I'll Steal you Johnnyyy, I'll steal you nothing, nothing will stop me from sniffing you hair, even now I'm at your window"
    Ludicrousity said...
    I hear ya!
    Glen O'Brien said...
    Yeah Sweeny Todd was pretty good. maybe because I'm not in love with Johnny Depp like you are I wasn't quite so enraptured. Ever seen Ed Wood? Best Depp (and Burton) film for my money 10,000 BC - I agree. Shoulda stayed away and saved my $15.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Ed Wood was brilliant! I loved it! He was such an odd man...
    don't call me MA'AM said...
    I loved, loved Sweeney Todd... and even though it's one of my favorite musicals, I'm glad they did what they did in the movie. It just worked. Johnny was awesome! And HBC's voice was supposed to be somewhat creaky and not pretty at all, so that just worked.

    A radio station had a kid (around 10 or 11 yrs old) do a review of 10,000 B.C.-- it was hilarious! He just recapped the movie with a lot of "ugh" and "me eat now" phrases. I'm not really doing it justice... but am also glad I won't have to waste $$ on going to see it!

    Thanks for the reviews!!
    Luke said...
    Ha ha ha!! Check out this surprisingly harsh banter between Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr a a press junket the other day! Not really relevant, but I had to share it with someone.

    Stiller: You know what my son said to me? He said "Daddy, you're my superhero."

    Downey: You know what he said to me? "Robert, you're a real superhero, not like my daddy, who's a fake superhero."

    Stiller: Obviously you didn't see a little movie I did called MYSTERY MEN.

    Downey: MYSTERY MEN? Is that a real movie? I must have missed that one.

    Stiller: You must have been in jail when it came out. Maybe they didn't show that in Gen Pop.

    Downey: You know what my son said to me. He said that he's having recurring nightmares that involve him being forced to watch HEARTBREAK KID again.

    Stiller: You know, that's not funny. And it really makes things awkward for them [the audience] and for me.
    Ludicrousity said...
    Were they having fun or really having a go at each other?! That's hilarious!
    Anonymous said...
    When i saw sweeney todd, so many people walked out of the theatre! It was almost as if they didn't know it was a musical..... fools
    Ludicrousity said...
    Weird! They missed out!
    Luke said...
    They walked out?! That seems so... extreme. It wasn't offensive, it wasn't bad... what's up?
    Rob said...
    when i saw 'jumper' there was a couple next to me who got up and left half way through. i must say i was a bit disappointed in the movie, but i didn't think it was bad enough to walk out of.

    and as far as sweeney todd, some of the trailers really didn't indicate it was musical, so i guess if people aren't familiar with it they might not know. but that's their problem if they don't like it. i thought it was awesome!
    Luke said...
    I can't think of a single film I've felt the need to walk out of. Even if it's bad, you still paid money for it. May as well see it through.

    Although I suppose if a film is painful to watch (like Saw or something) as you feel sick, then sure. But Jumper?!
    Ludicrousity said...
    I've never walked out of a film, but I have turned DVD's off and haven't finished watching them.
    don't call me MA'AM said...
    I didn't think Jumper was awful... it wasn't great, but not awful. I almost had to leave though, because of motion sickness. All that jumping around made me pretty nauseous. Perhaps that's why the couple Rob saw leave had to get out??
    Ludicrousity said...
    I felt that way after Cloverfield... Such a headache...
    Glen O'Brien said...
    I'm off to the Astor tonight with the Boy Wonder and some of his friends to see Tarantino and Rodriguez' "Grindhouse" as it was originally meant to be seen,as a double feature with faux trailers and all. I've seen the cinema release of "Death Proof" (which definitely needed trimming back, especially all of that meaningless trash talk, and the action left in) but not "Planet Terror." Hopefully the shorter versions will work well.
    Ludicrousity said...
    That'd be awesome to see! You'll have to let me know how it was!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates